Re: [avr-gcc-list] Anyone used Atmel's 802.15.4 stack (or OpenMac) ?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Anyone used Atmel's 802.15.4 stack (or OpenMac) ?
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:46:06 +0200

As steve childress wrote:

> Having done a lot of 802.15.4 work with several vendors' products,
> if you are just starting..., may I suggest that you not use ZigBee
> yet, must the MAC. If you NEED meshing or multiple routers, then
> learn ZigBee.

He didn't sound like really looking for ZigBee (i.e. for the
networking layer) to me.  Both references he cited were about MAC
layer implementations.  (Meshnetics has recently started an opensource
project for their *MAC* layer.)

> Also, compare your application to the transmitter power: some are 1
> or 2mWatt, others have a PA and go to 20mW 60mW or more. The max
> legal power depends on your country's regulatory authority.

As his domain ends in .si, I guess he's bound to the 10 mW limit of
the ETSI regulations, so the 3 mW of the AT86RF230 are already a good
start.  We extrapolated the free-area range to about 1000 m (based on
the RSSI value measured in 250 m distance, and the known receiver
sensitivity).  Of course, inside buildings, things are vastly
different.

> MeshNetics is based in Moscow.

What are you trying to say by that?