Re: [avr-gcc-list] Inserting code before context save in an ISR (for nes

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Inserting code before context save in an ISR (for nested interrupts)
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:36:10 +0200

The compiler only save registers which are needed by the isr. Why you should do this by your own?

Hi all,

I'm working on a hard realtime application where I need to keep the time
where interrupts are disabled as small as possible.  I've noticed that a
typical ISR can take 40+ cycles to push registers onto the stack before
executing any user ISR code.  I'd like for interrupts to be re-enabled
immediately upon entering the ISR (before the context save).

The only way that I can think of to do this is to add the naked attribute
to my ISRs.  Unfortunately, this is very unattractive because then I have
to do all context save operations manually.  My ISRs are written in C and
therefore I wouldn't know which registers would need to be saved and would
be forced to save all of them --- an expensive proposition.

Is there a way to inject a simple sei() into the start of an ISR before
the automatic context save?

Thanks,
David Carr