Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem with delay loop

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem with delay loop
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:59:24 +0200

I think we are discussing not the solution :-)

The compiler optimizes unused code away, that is OK!
If we use a volatile, the WRITE ACCESS could not longer be optimized and also a new READ ACCESS before subtraction must! be done. That is what the compiler do, that is also OK! If there is a "local" volatile variable, the compiler build a new stack frame which results in a big prologue and epilogue for the function, which is OK!

The solution to have a time consumtion function is to use the library!
Sorry that the volatile hack is not what you need. But it burnes time as expected :-) and nothing else is requested. If you need a handcafted delay loop use inline assembler instead. The behaviour of the compiler can change from version to version. And I hope it will change a lot to get better code!

Bye
 Klaus

Royce Pereira wrote:
So I have to write more 'C' code :) to get the same
stuff done, in the 'new & smarter' compiler!

Not more code, just correct code.

Have you tried returning the final value of your delay argument from the function? If the compiler optimizes only within the boundaries of individual functions it won't be able to take advantage of the fact that the result is not used. Strictly, this isn't correct either as the compiler could just assign zero and return. But, it may not be smart enough to do that and you may get closer to your original assembly language. Another way to go would be to write the function directly in assembly language.

Graham.