Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem with delay loop

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem with delay loop
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:34:52 +0100

David Brown wrote:
[...]
it could perhaps reason that since there is no way for anything outside the program to find out where the local volatile variable resides, there is no way for anything else to influence or use the variable, and therefore the "volatile" qualifier can be ignored.

This sentence makes no sense at all. The "volatile" is precisely to warn the compiler that it should not "reason" anything about this variable.

If you give a volatile qualifier to a local variable, it's obvious that you want it to behave differently from regular local variables, so I think gcc is doing the best it can, from the weakly defined volatile semantics.

This makes as much sense as saying that any volatile is futile, since you can compile a program with "-combine -whole-program" and so the compiler can always "reason" that any variable will not be accessed outside of its control.

Note that I'm not disputing that the compiler could in theory use a register instead. I personally don't think that would be a good idea, but it might be allowed by the specs. What I'm disputing is that the compiler _can not_ ignore the volatile and optimize the loop away entirely. That would be a compiler bug, for sure.

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

"As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error."
Weisert