Re: [avr-gcc-list] Howto put constants on fixed address

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Howto put constants on fixed address
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:41:14 +0100 (MET)

"Stu Bell" <address@hidden> wrote:

> My feeling is that you are asking quite a bit too much from the
> linker to expect it to "flow" code around an obstacle in the middle
> of it's memory map.

I agree.  If at all, I'd simply use the last (upmost) ROM location for
that "magic number" or "magic string".

Another option would be to use a real "magic string" right behind the
vectors table.  Just introduce it by a known 32-bit word that can
never be part of the vectors table itself.  This is basically the way
the old revision control system SCCS worked with its "@(#)" magic
number, which was then found and extracted by the "what" command.