[avr-gcc-list] RE: Patch Fix PR35013, PR27192

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] RE: Patch Fix PR35013, PR27192
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 02:26:41 -0600

I really don't like this option, plus doing do would be a regression
compared to 3.4.x. We had workable function pointer arithmetic there.

I have a valid reason to do pointer arithmetic: using a bootloader that
modifies itself. The bootloader would copy itself from the lower half of
bootloader memory area to the upper half of the bootloader area, then
call itself in the upper half. The bootloader had subroutines, so to
access them involved taking a function pointer, adding an offset, then
dereferenced them and do an indirect function call. It worked great. So
this feature, while rare, is needed.

Eric