Re: [avr-gcc-list] Bug? gcc silently assumes mcu model when linking, cre

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Bug? gcc silently assumes mcu model when linking, creating bad executable
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:20:48 +0200 (MET DST)

David Brown <address@hidden> wrote:

> So the lack of an error message for a missing mcu flag is not a bug
> - at most, it is a feature request which I think is unlikely to be
> implemented.

IMHO it could at least emit a warning when no -mmcu option is present.
If some odd test case really breaks, it ought to be fixed afterwards
anyway.

My guess is all this comes from a time when AVR-GCC was created, and
there were maybe three or four different AVRs only, so it did make
some sense for it to default to one of them (IIRC, it defaults to the
AT90S8515).  These days, there's really no point anymore to having it
default to something.

(If Denis or Marek read this, they might correct me if my guess is way
off.)