Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os

From: John Regehr
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 14:17:20 -0600 (MDT)

Well, isn't the net effect of volatile simply a more fine-grained clobbering lock?

Almost but not quite:

- volatile says nothing about the atomicity of any given access

- volatile does not suppress reordering (except with other volatiles)

- volatile has no effect on caches and out-of-order memory subsystems (not an issue for AVR obviously)

Basically volatile has the effect of sucking in programmers and then leaving them high and dry as system complexity increases.

Also volatile is usually too fine-grained, ensuring consistency-always instead of what you want (consistency on lock release) and this can easily lead to inefficiencies.

That's a counter-intuitive result. The "No idea why." part makes me a little squinty-eyed. It certainly *could* be a generalizable result, but then again it might be an artifact of your code structure.

Yep.

My off-the-wall guess was that the clobbers reduced register pressure. I could not think of an easy way to test that hypothesis.

Finally I'll just add a random plug for a piece of work that a colleague and I recently completed where we found that most compilers have problems implementing the volatile qualifier:

  http://www.cs.utah.edu/~regehr/papers/emsoft08_submit.pdf

This is indeed bad news since (as we have seen so many times on this list) programmers have trouble with volatile too.

Section 2 of our paper gives a fairly concise introduction to the semantics of volatile.

John