Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: AVR LLVM backend?

From: Preston Wilson
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: AVR LLVM backend?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 07:40:26 -0500

>>> I'm pretty sure this is not an issue (anymore, at least).  I could be
>>> wrong.  The recently-added PIC port of LLVM would be a good
>>> place to start
>>> looking.
>
> Ummm... are you sure they mean PIC as in a processor from Microchip, or
> do they mean PIC as in Position Independent Code?
>
> That particular collision in the acronym name space is a frequent cause
> of confusion among embedded developers....

They have both.  Most references are to the position independent code type,
but under "the new features" link near the top right hand side of the main
page. It includes this statement:

"LLVM 2.4 also includes an initial port for the PIC16 microprocessor. This
target only has support for 8 bit registers, and a number of other crazy
constraints. While the port is still in early development stages, it shows
some interesting things you can do with LLVM."

-Preston