Re: [avr-gcc-list] Follow up to AVR-GCC -Os issues

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Follow up to AVR-GCC -Os issues
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 06:18:08 +0100 (MET)

Nicholas Vinen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think -Os should inline functions if doing so reduces code size
> - e.g. they are declared inline and only called in one place.

Inlining decisions are often based on heuristics, so their guesses
about whether the inlining really safes code or not might occasionally
be a little off.  (In addition to saving the CALL/RET instructions,
inlining a function can also cause other, not fully predictable saving
due to the different register usage etc.)

However, I think -fno-inline is always meant to prevent *all*
functions from being inlined based on heuristics (except those that
are qualified by attribute "always_inline"), so I'd consider this a
bug here.