Re: [avr-gcc-list] A couple GCC warnings I would like tounderstand/get r

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] A couple GCC warnings I would like tounderstand/get rid of...
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 03:37:11 +0100

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 03:20:02 +0100
Vincent Trouilliez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Oops, I guess our respective GCC versions don't behave the same again..
> adding this type cast gives me a new/different warning:
>
> menu.c:35: warning: type-punning to incomplete type might break
> strict-aliasing rules
>
> I think we may well never see the end of it ! ;-)

Hmm, I switched temporarily from GCC 4.2.2 to 4.3.0, and 4.3.0 doesn't
give any warnings at all... I shall just ignore the warnings from 4.2.2
then. I don't want to move to 4.3.0 as I suspect it had code generation
bug, ISR related (must have read that on this list), that cause my
program to lose its mind. ISTR 4.3.2 solved that, but 4.3.2 is not yet
available in the Ubuntu repo (well it is in the repos of the dev/next
version, but last I checked, the gcc-avr package was not in an
installable state, may have been fixed since then, will check again).
I did pull the GCC source code to try to compile it myself, but failed
miserably (did not try too hard I must admit)...

--
Vince