Re: [avr-libc-dev] RE: [avr-gcc-list] no avr/lib/avr25/attiny13a/Makefil

From: Preston Wilson
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] RE: [avr-gcc-list] no avr/lib/avr25/attiny13a/Makefile.in
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:37:54 -0500

>>> What?! If that distro can't handle a little bit of whitespace, then
>>> I'd say that it's broken and doesn't deserve to be
>> supported anyway.
>
>> Now be carefull, this is ubuntu.
>
> Somehow I just *knew* you were going to say that... :-)
>
>> But the white space is not the issue
>> here, but the difference between 'sh' and 'bash' and to what that
>> is mapped in the distro i guess. On my gentoo machines there is no
>> problem what so ever.

The problem is that Ubuntu (by default) links sh to dash, and almost all
other Linux distributions link sh to bash.  [sh is bash under Cygwin too.]
I have not kept up with the state of the various command interpreters, but I
suspect that bash is a superset of the POSIX standard for sh, and that the
script is using something that is specific to bash.  It could also be that
dash has not implemented some POSIX feature, but my guess is that is less
likely the case.

Two solutions: replace the bash specific feature with something that will
work under a strictly POSIX shell (or lesser enabled POSIX shell), or use
"#! /bin/bash" as the interpreter instead of "#! /bin/sh".  As Rudd states,
the space is not the issue.

-Preston