Re: [avr-gcc-list] Strings: escape sequence to insert arbitrary hex valu

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Strings: escape sequence to insert arbitrary hex value ?
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 16:28:55 +1030

On Thursday 05 February 2009 15:53:50 Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:18:44 +1030
>
> "Daniel O'Connor" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > You can define it like so..
> > #define  LCD_CUSTOM_CHAR_FOO "\012"
> >
> > then you can do..
> > char example[] = "foo" LCD_CUSTOM_CHAR_FOO "bar";
> >
> > You might be able to do something more clever but I don't know how :)
>
> Thanks Daniel (and Ivan as well, off-list), that worked a treat ! :-)
>
> Only drawback I found, is that I must now have TWO #defines for each and
> every custom character: one #define to represent the character as a
> string, so I can embed it into a string, and also all the #defines I
> already had, which represent the actual numerical value, for when I
> need to print an individual/discrete character rather than print a
> string. It's not the end of the world, but not very elegant either, so
> if anybody has a solution to make do with only one define per character,
> I am all ears ;-)

I had a go at getting that to work with preprocessor magic but I don't think
it's possible (I'm no CPP guru though).

Actually, how about..

#define FOO "\070"
#define getOrd(x) (x)[0]

?
I only compiled it on a PC so I don't know if it would be optimised down to
what you expect but I think it would be.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum