RE: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Strings: escape sequence to insert arbitrary hex

From: Dave Hansen
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Strings: escape sequence to insert arbitrary hex value ?
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:13:41 -0500

 From: address@hidden
>> ISO C99, section, p3:
>> the question-mark ?, [..] is representable according to the following table
>> of escape
>> sequences: question mark? \?
> Interesting. I wonder why the standard deeemd it necessary to provide
> an escape sequence for the question mark ?
As other have mentioned, it's to prevent the substitution of trigraphs.
Trigraphs are a way to express characters that either do not appear is the
source character set, or are handled poorly by the development environment.  If
trigraphs are enabled, then
will output "Trigraphs|" (IIRC).  To prevent this, you can use

Windows Liveā„¢: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.