Re: [avr-gcc-list] memcpy() : problem when passing destination pointer

From: Paulo Marques
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] memcpy() : problem when passing destination pointer
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:32:39 +0000

Dave Hansen wrote:
>  From: address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>
>
> [...re: volatile use cases...]
>
> In both of these cases, "volatile" is insufficient because it does not
> imply "atomic".  In the first case, you need an atomic
> read-modify-write, and in the second you need an atomic read of a wide
> value.  In both cases you can achieve that by enclosing the the variable
> access in a cli-sei pair.  For example, the latter case can be fixed by
> changing the routine to something like
>
> main()  // or "int main(void)", yada yada
> {
>    uint32_t ms;   // does not need to be volatile
>
>    do{ cli(); ms = Milliseconds; sei(); } while (ms < SOME_LIMIT);
> }

No, you can not. You need the macros in util/atomic.h because cli / sei
are not memory barriers and accesses to variables done inside a pair
like that can be moved out by the compiler.

Just search the archives for previous discussions and examples...

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

"There cannot be a crisis today; my schedule is already full."