[avr-gcc-list] On the subject of lean ISR's

From: Dennis Clark
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] On the subject of lean ISR's
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:23:29 -0700 (MST)

Rather than hijack a thread I'll start my own.

How does everyone lean out an ISR?  I too have been appalled at the
preamble/postamble code GCC puts into the ISR.

I always put ISR variables in global space to avoid stack issues, but the
heap access registers still need push/popped.  I tried using register
variables to avoid heap access and found that there is no way to know if a
library call is using that register - The compiler does NOT guarantee
exclusive access.  Can you actually get away with a "NAKID" attribute on
the ISR?

How have others dealt with ISR bloat reduction?

Many thanks,
DLC

--
Dennis Clark