Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: sprintf

From: David VanHorn
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: sprintf
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:24:22 -0500

Hey take it easy, I hardly meant to offend ! I was not "judging" your
skills whatsoever (I am beginner too, I also used printf in my
first days of programming...and gave up on it on the same day, as soon
as I timed it with my oscilloscope and my eyes poped out when they saw
how long it took to run and how much KB it "stole" from my tight
Mega32 !). I was really only showing my appreciation of David Brown's
humour, nothing more, not at all laughing at the specific target/object
of this humour, honest !

:) It's cool.

I'm not feeling too bad, as my second C project is up and running, and the boss is pleased.

If I wanted fast and small, I'd have done it in ASM. But half of the point of this exercise was to get my feet wet with C.
So, both points accomplished. I have GCC up under AVR studio, a working project, and I feel reasonably confident with the code.

I'm less pleased with the sensor performance, but I need to look at some more sophisticated ways to handle the data.
And that, is something I wouldn't want to have to do in ASM.

Here's a studio question though:

When stepping thru the code, the pointer isn't always pointing to the line properly.
Sometimes when it exits a function, it ends up pointing at the last brace, sometimes not.
Sometimes when it enters a function, it ends up pointing at the first brace, sometimes not.
Basically, I'm never SURE that the pointer is pointing to the code that's about to be executed.

I've seen worse in ASM.. On the AVR Chat group at yahoo, I posted a movie taken from a screen cap of a debugging session.
The emulator (not sim!) walked right past an LDI instruction without it affecting the register. (!)
I have had a miserable time with Studio over the last few years, though it worked wonderfully for about the first two years, right up till they introduced the ICE-50.

Anyway, is this just an annoyance I'll have to live with, or is it some setting I've got wrong?