Re: [avr-gcc-list] Allocating variables to a fixed address

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Allocating variables to a fixed address
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:06:54 -0500

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 03:56:34PM +0200, Robert von Knobloch wrote:
> David Kelly wrote:
> > Sounds to me as if you are making the "bootloader" too big and
> > should simply link an entire application for every possible target.
> > What you are doing would make more sense if the loadable modules
> > could run out of RAM.
>
> That would be no use, the loadables must be non-volatile.
> This is a tester that will be sent to a factory (somewhere).
> When a new product is to be tested, I can e-mail them the test routine
> which they then burn into flash (each of these is 0x900 bytes, there
> can be up to 0x0a of them).

Yes, what I said before, "link an entire application for every possible
target." If a factory needs a new module added to their tester then link
an application with all the modules they need if you are not able to
make a single application that supports all known modules.

Another way to pull this off would be to ship the avr-ln application,
object files, and let the customer link their selected module set to
flash the tester. You could wrap everything up and hide the process in a
script or application. Strip the debugging stubs from the object files
but leave the linking symbols.

Otherwise for an example of how to statically allocate global variables
look in the include files for how registers are defined.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden