Re: [avr-gcc-list] including default eeprom values in flash memory

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] including default eeprom values in flash memory
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:01:35 -0400

> Ditto. Declare the variables twice, once with a name that is obvious to
> you is EEPROM in the EEPROM space, and again with a name that is obvious
> to you is stored in FLASH. Then when/if you wish to restore EEPROM
> contents to their initial default values use the PGM modifier to read
> from FLASH and call the routine(s) used to write EEPROM.

I have been trying to find the origin of a story, without success so
far, related to
restoring  default EEPROM settings to "factory" settings.

Story goes like this:

A lady took her car back to the dealer, and asked that they disable the
front seat passenger air bags, as her son always road there.  The dealer
did as the lady asked.  Some time later something happened, possibly
a jump start due to dead battery, which caused the ECU to restore
the EEPROM to factory specs, which included turning the passenger side
air bag back on.  There was then an accident, where boy was killed.

Even if the story is not true, it still illustrates just how hard it is to do
a "safe" embedded system.

"Programming is a race between writing a program that any idiot can use,
and the Universe building bigger and better idiots.  The Universe is winning."

--
http://www.wearablesmartsensors.com/
http://www.softwaresafety.net/