Re: [avr-gcc-list] __builtin_constant_p for inline func args with -Os

From: Paul Stoffregen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] __builtin_constant_p for inline func args with -Os
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 13:04:48 -0800

Thanks!  That works perfectly.  :-)

I was totally misunderstanding the problem. Just one little attribute, but it's a huge help.

Thanks again.

-Paul

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Paul Stoffregen <address@hidden> wrote:

Indeed it works great with -O2.  But with -Os, __builtin_constant_p
never returns 1.

It appears to me GCC simply thinks inlining the function would not be
feasible with -Os -- well, partially at least.  If you declare your
function as

static inline void __attribute__((always_inline))
digitalWrite(uint8_t pin, uint8_t val)

(thus overriding GCC's heuristics about inlining), it yields your
desired result:

main:
/* prologue: function */
/* frame size = 0 */