[avr-gcc-list] avrdude - Getting started

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] avrdude - Getting started
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 19:21:59 +0100

Hi all,

• I have built the avr tool chain on Solaris
• I have VirtualBox (Windows XP) on the Solaris machine
• I ave purchased a AMtel AVR programmer (AVRISPmkII). This thing has an USB-interface
• I have an Arduino board
• I have written a first "Hello World" program, built that with avr-gcc and made the hex with avr-objcopy. • avrdude is available in /usr/local/bin/avrdude but I have no idea how to use that • I have conencted the SPI interface of the programmer to the Arduino board.

What comes next? I currently see two distinct approaches:

• [Programming via Unix] How can I make avrdude find and use the AMtel programmer on my Solaris machine? When I do "ls /dev/usb" I get

        b38.3    device0  hid0     hid1     hid2     hid3     hub0     hub1

Do I need any additonal driver or what for Solaris to get this to work? Do I need libusb? I really have no idea!?

• [Programming via Windows]  I have installed VirtualBox on the Solaris machine and am running a Windows XP guest. I could install AVR studio on this box but to use the AVR programmer I most likely have to map an USB device from the host to the Windows XP guest. When I create a USB filter in the VirtualBox application it asks for Name, Vendor ID:, Product ID: Revision, Serial No, ... I really have no idea what to enter here!

 How do I proceed from here? Hints are greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

 Andreas