Re: [avr-gcc-list] Frame pointer location

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Frame pointer location
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:53:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Johannes Bauer <address@hidden> wrote:

> When sporadic deadlocks occur in a system, a stacktrace can really
> help find bugs.

Yes, I know.  I usually end up in manually inspecting the stack then,
as this requires no specific compilation options.

As I only have to do it once a year or so, this never bothered me too
much (and I could successfully dig up memory corruptions going into IO
space that way, which in turn triggered an unexpected interrupt, and
other "nice" gotchas).

> I think stack unwinding in-system could be useful for
> other people as well.

Well, most people debug using AVR Studio, which has even less ideas
about the GCC call stack than AVR-GDB does.  AVR Studio even lacks the
ability to display out-of-scope variables, yet most people appear to
just live with that.  I doubt there's a very broad audience for
improved stackframes -- as I said, people do care for the amount of
code generated, next they do care for the code size, then they compare
the generated code size with compiler XYZ, and only then they start
comparing other features. :-/

> Could you please point me to where I should look/poke around in
> order to get this resolved?

Sorry, I'm not a compiler guy.  I don't have any clues about the
compiler internals.