[avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #29774] prologue/epilogue stack p

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #29774] prologue/epilogue stack pointermanipulation not interrupt safe in XMega
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:39:04 -0500

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Boyapati, Anitha
<address@hidden> wrote:

> This is quite an interesting bug!!

Dangerous is more the word I'd use.
In the real world the issue is that this bug opens up a 31.25 ns, @ 32
MHz, timing race that could lead to hard (Impossible?) to reproduce
crashes in products.

> Firstly, I don't think an avr-gcc bug is filed on this...

Back in June I said that I would do that, then Eric came up with a
patch so I did not.
I can open one if it helps.

> Secondly, can you the gcc version you are using?

4.3.3 WinAVR 20100110.

>If you have not moved onto latest release of AVR Toolchain 3.1.0, I suggest
>you try it and let us know. (even AVR Toolchain 3.0.0 can be used)

I have no idea what those numbers are referring to?

> As per my understanding, if the issue is just limited to __prologues_saves__
> and __epilogue_restores__, then they appeared to be fixed. However I have to
> verify in other places of gcc (wherever Xmega instructions involving stack
> pointers are emitted)

To my knowledge this issue is limited to those sections on the XMega.