Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:15:19 +0100

Weddington, Eric schrieb:

address@hidden On Behalf Of Stu Bell Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:07 PM To:

WinAVR is the Windows packaging of the AVR-GCC stuff, along with
the avr-libc library.

Along with some other stuff, too. ;-)

(In addition, WinAVR is about to be deprecated in favor of a
toolset integrated into AVR Studio. It is on it's last official release, at least officially.)

Officially, it's up to me what to do with WinAVR. Admittedly there
hasn't been a lot of incentive what with AS5 coming out with a
toolchain.

However, based on some discussion on AVR Freaks, I'm reconsidering.

WinAVR is a great project, it would be a pity if it would die.

IMO the best way for AS to cooperate with avr-gcc is to provide WinAVR seperately and supply an interface to it. If AS supported to chose the installation path of avr-tools, AS users could easily switch to their favourate versions of avr-gcc and try new releases.

I can understand that you are absorbed by and focused at the big AS5 project, but letting WinAVR die and deploying avr-gcc /only/ within a mega-project like AS5 is no good idea, IMO.

Regards, Johann