Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG

From: Trevor Woerner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:59:38 -0500

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Weddington, Eric
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Sorry for my ignorance, but can you provide a link to crosstool-NG? I think
> I'm familiar with what you're referring to. I remember talking to the author
> of the crosstool scripts several years ago.

http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool

If you look at Bingo or Omar's scripts their primary job is to build
you a toolchain. However, in addition to building the toolchain both
these (and other) scripts have to include extras such as:

1) code to download, reliably, the base code and patches for the build
2) logging/reporting code for pretty output letting the user know what
is going on
3) some sort of mechanism for updating the script to download
different versions or base or patch code
4) logic to know which parts have to be build in which order
5) mechanisms for installing your code and/or allowing you to install
your code where ever you want
etc.

The crosstool-NG project contains all that "infrastructure" code for
you already. It provides you with a kconfig style interface
(http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool#snapshots) which you
can use to select various versions of the tools, decide what to build
(whether or not to include gdb, for example), and even select what
logging level you want to use (full log, errors only, etc). It
provides a convenient base from which to perform the builds, all you
need to provide are the supported versions and the patches.

And the neat thing is: for developers working with other embedded
Linux targets, crosstool-NG can build toolchains to support other
platforms such as MIPS, PowerPC, ARM, etc. So if you become familiar
with using crosstool-NG you then have a base for producing
(potentially) all the toolchains with which you might need to work.