Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Using multiple versions of AVR Studio (was Re: cr

From: johnea
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: Using multiple versions of AVR Studio (was Re: crosstool-NG)
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:56:52 -0800

I've been running WinXP on VirtualBox for a couple of years.

Primarily to debug with AVRStudio using JTAGice-mkII.

On 03/04/2011 12:48 PM, David Brown wrote:
> ...but USB devices using a Windows host is still a mystery.  Sometimes it
> works fine, but most of the time it's unreliable.

It's been the opposite experience here, USB functionality of the JTAG emulator
has been flawless. Even when installing drivers in the guest win32 environment.
Changing the enable/disable check box has been identical to unplugging and
replugging the hardware, causing windows to re-enumerate the device.

> I find it is very much easier and more reliable when using a Linux host.

This is hosted on 64bit archlinux. Intel mobo, Core2 Quad with 8G RAM, I give
1G to the VM.
The emulator is plugged into a host controller along with the UPS, no hub. From
lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 003: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion Uninterruptible
Power Supply
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 03eb:2103 Atmel Corp. JTAG ICE mkII

I really have been amazed at how well it works.

Wireshark also does a great job, via debugfs, of displaying the USB
communication between; AVStudio in emulation, and the JTAGice-mkII hardware. If
anyone wanted to write drivers to run the mkII natively on linux it would be
straightforward to monitor/analyse the interface.

Another vote for VirtualBox...

johnea