Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problems with avrtest simulator and avr-gcc testsuite

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problems with avrtest simulator and avr-gcc testsuite.
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:26:00 +0200

Georg-Johann Lay schrieb:
> With the avrtest simulator, I observe the following problem with the
> -m option (max instruction count):
>
>> avrtest var-expand2.exe -mmcu=avr51 -m 1019948
>
>  exit status: TIMEOUT
>       reason: instruction count limit reached
>      program: var-expand2.exe
> exit address: 000318
> total cycles: 1483103
>
>> avrtest var-expand2.exe -mmcu=avr51 -m 1019949
>
>  [...avrtest hangs...]
>
> So there is a barrier: for all -m values >= 1019949 avrtest hangs, for
> -m <= 1019948 avrtest stops as desired.
>
> I am using avrtest as of
>   http://winavr.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/winavr/avrtest/
>
> All this blocks my work on avr-gcc, because I use avrtest as simulator
> to run regression tests. FYI, I attached the avr-elf32 executable
> var-expand2.exe (as tar, because mailing list rejects .exe).
>
> Is there a place that hosts updated versions of avrtest or is there a
> site with more stable simulator that can run avr regression tests?
>
> Thanks for any hints on that.

The problem is in avrtest.c:335

static int data_read_byte_raw(int address)
{
        // add code here to handle special events

        if (address == STDIO_PORT)
                return getchar();

        return cpu_data[address];
}

address happens to be 82 which equals STDIO_PORT, therefore avrtest
waits for input. I removed the if and avrtest works as expected; the
test program hits ABORT in the remainder.

Johann