[avr-gcc-list] Update of avrtest simulator

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Update of avrtest simulator
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:46:49 +0200

I just committed some changes to the avrtest simulator located at

The main changes are:

* When running the avr-gcc testsuite, it is very much preferred to
  link against an object like exit-atmega128.o instead of compiling
  against a C file like exit.c.  That way, the routines implemented
  in exit.c are independent of the options used to run a specific
  test case.
  In particular, it's discouraged to compile code that is dedicated
  to some .init section with -O0.  This can be achieved by linking
  against an object file.

* Reworked Makefile so that it will produce appropriate avr object
  files like exit-atmega128.o.
  The board description atmega128-sim.exp shows how to use it.

* New avrtest options -no-stdin and -no-stdout.
  Some malfunctioning programs might lead to a read of STDIN_PORT
  which in turn causes avrtest to call getchar so that simulation
  freezes at that point.  In fact that was the reason I looked into
  avrtest.  As there is no need to read from the command line during
  running testsuite, I added that option to avrtest call in the
  board description.

* New file avrtest.h to define some macros for the application like
  header, too.

* Reworked exit.c to increase locality and use avrtest.h.

* New file README with some simple examples and explanation of how
  to use avrtest with gcc testsuite that I found on this list, see