Re: [avr-gcc-list] [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produ

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 09:03:27 +1300

On Sun 06 Nov 2011 10:09:23 NZDT +1300, Georg-Johann Lay wrote:

> The easiest way is to not configure them by hand, but let GCC do
> that instead:
>
> Link or copy the sources into GCC's to-level source directory as
> "gmp", "mpfp", mpc", respectively, and just configure & make GCC as
> desired. That's it.

That's the second-easiest way.

The easiest way is to just install the system's devel packages for these
libraries and likewise letting gcc sort itself out. That wasn't working
for me at first, but it must have been due to other factors, probably
PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Other points that turned out to be critical:

* Do not set CFLAGS for make, only for configure.

* Do not pass -m32 or -m64 in CFLAGS for configure, this will mess
things up very badly. This happens automatically when building packages
with CFLGS="$RPM_BUILD_FLAGS".

These probably helped, but I'm not totally sure:

* Set PATH explicitly, and to only those directories requried (like
/usr/bin).

* Unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH explicitly.

Many thanks to Jens, Jörg and Eric for their build hints. There seem to
be a large number of issues to consider, all of them also dependent on
the particular configuration options used...

> Fiddling around with the
> prerequisites by hand might be wise if you bootstrap GCC 100* a day
> and want to save some time.

My biggest time saving came from unpacking the gcc sources and building
in /dev/shm, with TMPDIR=/dev/shm and make -j6.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.