Re: [avr-gcc-list] avrdude usb problem on osx

From: Jens Bauer
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avrdude usb problem on osx
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:57:09 +0100

Hi Raffaele,

This is not a gcc problem, but I'll try and point you in the right direction
according to my abilities...

Perhaps you'd start by checking that avrispmkii is visible in System Profiler.
I say this, because in your previous message, avrdude said it could not find
any USB device named 'usb' (eh??!?)

If it is, try starting avrdude without issuing it a command:
avrdude -c avrispmkii -P usb -p atmega164p

This does nearly nothing, but read the device signature.

If that works, try...
avrdude -c avrispmkii -P usb -p m88 -U lfuse:r:-:i

This is a command that reads the low fuse bits of the target.
It doesn't write any value and should work on any device.

**NEVER EVER** use option -F! "Override" is only meant for Star Trek shows.
-It is never ever necessary (and any information leading to using it should be
removed from avrdude!)

If you see that avrdude suggests using -F, you have an error somewhere.

Here are some suggestions; they're not meant to be offending, they're just from
my own experience... :)
If this is a first run on this system, you might want to start with step 8 and
9...

1: Check the connections
2: Check the connections
3: After checking the connections, try following the wires, wire by wire, one
at a time.
4: Measure using a multimeter, if the wires are connected correctly.
5: Check that you actually applied power to the microcontroller before
attempting to program it.
6: Check that you have GND on pin 6 and VCC on pin 2 of the ISP connector.
7: Check that you specified the correct part.
8: Check that you can see the avrispmkii using System Profiler (choose "About
this Mac", then "More Info", click USB in the list).
9: Check that you actually compiled avrdude with USB support.
10: Check the connections again. (usually, at this point, I find out that I
wired the ISP incorrectly).

You never have to specify a port number: You can't; USB is a "universal serial
bus", which means it does not distinguish between ports, except on a very low
level, usually not accessible by user software.

Love,
Jens