Re: [avr-gcc-list] using exceptions

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] using exceptions
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 10:09:13 +0200

On 02/05/2012 18:16, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM, David Brown<address@hidden>  wrote:

I agree with what you are saying.  I'm just trying to suggest that getting
Haskell to work on the AVR is more akin to getting Linux to work on the AVR
- while perhaps Lua, OCAML, more C++, or other options might be a better
balance.

the C++ part is what falls squarely on my shoulders -- for various reasons.

  I also think they might be more likely to work - it would be a
shame for the students to spend ages getting all the bits in place for
Haskell on the AVR, only to find out that their quicksort example program
runs out of memory with more than 4 elements.

Don't worry too much about that.

[...]

I don't disagree with you on any of your points - I just want to be sure
that Gaby knows what he is getting into here,

yes, don't worry about that :-)

  and that his time and effort is well spent.

Various people (including my family) have dramatically different
ideas about how my limited time should be spent :)

-- Gaby

OK, I'll stop worrying and let you enjoy your project!

Whatever the results, I'm sure your work on C++ will be greatly appreciated. The avr-gcc project can greatly benefit from a C++ expert - the current maintainers have their workload overflowing already with plain C.