Re: [avr-gcc-list] Link Time Optimization vs __builtin_unreachable() and

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Link Time Optimization vs __builtin_unreachable() and .signature?
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 08:39:17 -0400

> Compiler bugs can always be seen in the generated assembly text.
> GCC is a text->text transformer that maps high level language
> source code to low level language source code.
>
> If you observe a defect, that effect can be reproduced by anyone
> if he has the sources and knows what options you use on what
> compiler version.

cloc says the project is 64118 lines of source code, 8000 of them are
comments.  I have no idea how to turn that into a simple test case.

http://cloc.sourceforge.net/

> Because I am not a gcc developer familiar with LTO, a knowledgeable
> gcc developer would have to have a look at the issue.

This is a production project.  I'm not going to give the code out for
the world to see.

We already have problems with our stuff being copied. At CES 2010 the
boss found a life size poster of my colleague Jason,
taken from our literature, being used to sell a knock-off of our
product, from a company out of Taiwan.
 When the boss told them they were ripping is off they still kept
trying to sell them to him.
Our stuff is intented to work in very hot environments.  Theirs was
held together with Hot Glue.

Thank you for your help.  I'm going to consider LTO to buggy to use,
hopefully it will work in some future version, and move on.