[avr-gcc-list] Selecting GCC release

From: Juergen Harms
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Selecting GCC release
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 09:34:41 +0200

We need to upgrade the AVR GCC cross-compiler package of the Mageia distro, the present package uses GCC-4.8.1.

Simply packaging the latest available GCC release would be a naive approach, as illustrated in last years ML thread on "GCC 6.1.0, strings and PROGMEM": a year ago - about 1 month after its release date - GCC 6.x was considered to still need some stabilising, the advice was to use 5.x.

How is the situation now? does 7.1.0 still has issues wrt to using it in the avr toolchain? can we get advice which GCC release to select for packaging into a more or less typical Linux distro?

Thanks in advance, Juergen Harms