avr-libc-dev

Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: circ dep fix

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: circ dep fix
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 23:23:24 +0200

As Theodore Roth wrote:

> :) Well, i'd rather prefer to separate them, so that bug fixes and
> :) feature extensions remain distinct in CVS.  Also, i'm not even sure
> :) i like my current way of doing things :), it's merely a proposal.
>
> I think a better approach for the pdf version would be to add
> --with-pdlatex to configure.in.

Is it really that useful?  IOW, does anybody use other LaTeX packets
these days than teTeX?  pdflatex is in all recent teTeX distributions.

Still, i'd like to get a solution that is able to build both, PS and
PDF at the same time.  (I wouldn't mind it if the build process is
tunable so one could decide to leave out one or both of these
formats.)  PS might be the version that is better for printing (in
environments where printing a PS file is quite common), while PDF is
better for browsing through the document online.  Sure, there's also
the HTML version for online browsing, but it looks quite a bit
different from the printed version.

While people who personally compile all this for their own use will
probably have their own preferences about which documentation format
they prefer most, keep in mind that most of our installations aren't
compiled personally by the end-user, but by someone who's building
an installable package out of the sources, and distributing it.
Incidentally, i'm the one doing this for FreeBSD :), so that might
explain why i'd like to see a knob that turns on all the possible
documentation formats.

(Background for the other list members: with doxygen 2.1.17, setting
USE_PDFLATEX = YES in the doxygen.config file causes doxygen to
generate a latex/Makefile that is /only/ usable to build a PDF file.
Setting USE_PDFLATEX = NO however generates a latex/Makefile that
can build a PS file, and convert it into PDF then.)

> :) So feel free to commit the circular dependency fix first, the PDF
> :) changes probably need to wait a bit to mature.
>
> I'll make the fix today.

Thanks!