avr-libc-dev

Re: [avr-libc-dev] Handling of ChangeLog

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Handling of ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 00:40:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

>Well, after committing quite some of the recent doc changes, i must
>say that i find the ChangeLog handling a nuisance.  Given that
>ChangeLog tends to grow out of bounds despite of not even containing
>a lot of useful information that is not already in the CVS logs, and
>that our project doesn't fall under GPL (which requires something
>like a ChangeLog, IIRC), i'd rather suggest to do the following:
>
>.. Trim down the ChangeLog so only major feature changes (like the
>  move to doxygen, the addition of the Inline Assembler Manual and
>  the FAQ etc.) are mentioned.  This will then be able to provide some
>  sort of `release notes' to our users so they can get a quick opinion
>  about what has been changed, and whether it's worthy to install a
>  new version.

A NEWS file maybe?

>.. Modify the CVS scripts to collect the CVS logs into a file.  That
>  file should perhaps be rotated occasionally to prevent it from
>  groing beyond usability, but this would require shell access to
>  the server (or some clever trickery with rsync, but that's still
>  risking to collide with a CVS committ happening while the rsyncing
>  is under way).

Emacs: C-x v a

>.. Make the CVS messages a bit more verbose than the usual one line
>  per file.  This should IMHO give other developers some insight
>  about the rationale behind the change, even when reviewing the
>  log after quite some time when nobody remembers anymore for why
>  something has been done back in the past...  See my commit
>  messages for an example (sorry for breaking with your commit
>  log style here, Ted ;-).

I have no objection to long commit messages. Marek has already committed a
few any ways. ;-)

>Opinions?

I think the ChangeLog is a pain, but useful in that you see the whole
picture. From there you can have some direction as to where to look to
find a the actual diff (either on the web or with the cvs command line
tool). I'd like to see it stay, but will let Marek trump me. I can always
get a ChangeLog using emacs.

Ted "I'm off to bed" Roth