avr-libc-dev

[avr-libc-dev] being able to use libc without fdevopen?

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] being able to use libc without fdevopen?
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:49:37 +0200

Hi.

I'm using an atmega162 and being short on flash. So I removed fdevopen
because I use only printf/puts, etc, with no float. fdevopen bring in
calloc/malloc and that eats more than one K of flash + ram overhead for
dynamic allocation. I was not able to link without the official fdevopen,
maybe I misunderstood linker options like "-Wl,-u,fdevopen".

To get rid of calloc/malloc in my application, I had to get rid of fdevopen
and to do so include stdio_private.h in my code and regenerate a libc
without fdevopen.

Is there another way to do it (I'd like to keep using the libc the
'official' way) ?

Thanks.

        Bernard