avr-libc-dev

RE: [avr-libc-dev] Working with Atmega162 and STK500

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Working with Atmega162 and STK500
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 05:58:38 +0100

I worked on ATMEGA162 + avr-gcc on Linux for months without problems. Get
AvrStudio 4 (why use the old version?) just to setup the fuses if you don't
want to spend time fiddling with avrdude when beginning.

On Linux, I work with Emacs. Quiet not a Windows-like clickodrome, but
really designed by and for programmers. When I use WinAVR, I use also Emacs
on Windows. So you get nearly the same habits on both world. Emacs is a
little bit hard for the first few days. Now such a point of view is totally
subjective and everyone is convinced that he uses the best tools.

To start get all stuff needed on Linux (avr-gcc, binutils, avrdude,
avr-libc), follow the guide for the compilation order and configure options.
You can use the Makefile from WinAVR is works well with Linux and it is a
very good starting point. If you have problems, then they will be in
relation to your setup (common when starting) since avr-gcc on linux for
atmega162 (and many others) is really working.

Have fun!

        Bernard