avr-libc-dev

Re: AW: [avr-libc-dev] Improved optimizer for mixed 32 / 16 / 8 bit expr

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: AW: [avr-libc-dev] Improved optimizer for mixed 32 / 16 / 8 bit expressions
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:34:25 -0700

Björn Haase wrote:

Hi,

Paul Schlie wrote

Very nice, out of curiosity, whas this done entirely with .md rtl
optimization, or improving the minimal type size representation
within the compiler's front/middle end? (or a little of both?)

sorry for replying a bit late. The changes that I have implemented so-far
are restricted to
the machine definition.

What I have been doing is something rather tedious. I have made use of a
well-known
principle. The people that wrote the avr-port already have made use of it.

<good stuff snipped>

I have rechecked the changes for some days and I will post my suggestions in
the .md this evening.

When you post your changes, please CC both of the GCC AVR maintainers: Denis Chertykov and Marek Michalkiewicz (you can get their email addresses in the MAINTAINERS file in the GCC source code). They will both be very interested in this.

*If* it shows that your changes improved code on all cases, this might be a good time to see if it can be put into the upcoming GCC 4.0.0.

IMO, any changes that you make that reduce code size, *even at the expense of increasing compile time*, would be preferred. AVR projects are generally small enough that compile time is not a factor, but the size of the resulting code is way more important.

Thanks for doing this work! :-)

Eric