[avr-libc-dev] Re: AVR toolset on Linux, Mac?

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: AVR toolset on Linux, Mac?
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:16:50 +0200

On 17 Mar 2005 at 14:44, E. Weddington wrote:

> Hello All!
> I just realized that I've had two seperate private threads going about
> getting the AVR toolset built for the Linux platform.
> Anton, meet Knut. Knut, meet Anton. :-)
> You both are interested in reproducing WinAVR on Linux and have asked
> me seperately about information.
> Since the departure of Ted Roth from the project, there has been a
> vacuum in the Linux community for binary distributions (lets call them
> "distros") of the AVR toolset. Some people know of the existance of
> the "cdk4avr" project on SF: ......... I just did a quick check for it
> and now I can't seem to find it on SF. Perhaps it's defunct and been
> removed? Anyway, that *used* to be the only known Linux distro of the
> AVR toolset, but last I heard it was out-of-date.

> Right now, there's Jörg Wunsch who maintains the FreeBSD distro, and I
> maintain the Windows distro. There's really no one doing a Linux
> distro. And Brian Dean is probably the most knowledgable about the AVR
> Toolset on the Mac.
> Anton, Knut, would you both be interested in working together to
> produce a Linux distro? Colin, are you interested in this too?
> Inlcuding producing whatever is needed for installation, say RPMs? I'm
> not familiar in this area; I don't know which Linux distros you would
> be interested in and whether RPM's are necessary.

I am still learning, and am very far away from being expert in generating
Linux distros. I have found that the available rpms always seem to be out
of date, and one need different rpms for every different Linux ditro. I think
a script which takes a defined set of source archives and patches and generates
a working toolset is the best. Especially if one can download all the necessary
from one place. a build script similar to the one by Rod Moffit at
This builds the compiler, library and debugger. It is easy to modify to use
versions of the various archives. With only small changes I have been able to
generate the compiler and library to have a "WinAVR" equivalent on Linux.
I will try and generate a separate script (Based on this script) to build the
other components available in "WinAVR" distribution.

> Anyone know where RPMs might be hosted? Jörg, isn't it correct that
> Savannah frowns on hosting binaries? Perhaps SourceForge would be ok?

I think just having the specific archives together with a build script would be
sufficient to get most people going. One can add fairly simple "Monkey-see
Monkey Do"
instructions which should make "Anyone" able to build and install the tools
under Linux.
"Anyone" who would have a hope in hell of getting an AVR going at least.

> Brian, do you host any binary installations of the AVR toolset for the
> Mac? If not, do you know of anyone who does? Do you know what format
> would be required for Mac?
> I think that would just leave Solaris as the only platform left
> without a binary distro... :-)
> Thanks everyone
> Eric

A J Erasmus