avr-libc-dev

[avr-libc-dev] Re: simulavrxx build problems

From: William Rivet
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: simulavrxx build problems
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:58:21 -0400

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 16:20 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> One of the problems that I'm having is that for
> the most part, I can't even read the make files.

What is it you are trying to do?

> It would be nice to have overviews of
> what makes what from what and what runs what.

This is true. The root directory includes the conventional INSTALL file
that describes configuring, building and installing. I'm not saying they
are great, but it can get things started.

In the examples directory there is a readme about the example targets.
It's not much, but that's what exists ATM.

> I assume that *.o files are made from the corresponding *.cpp files,
> but other than that, I'm not sure of much.

Yes indeed. Not knowing what you are up to, I'm not sure you even need
to worry about this part other than to use the resulting files.

> I'm reading up on swig,
> but I've never used it before.
> Does swig make simulavr.py and simulavr_wrap.cpp?
> If so, I've been unable to find the Makefile command that does it.
> Is _simulavr.so made from simulavr_wrap.cpp?

Yes. Swig makes interfaces between high level languages and C/C++ code.

> What is the startup sequence?
> That is, who invokes whom on the way to the main loop?
> During the  main loop,
> who sends what information to the outside world? How?
> Who gets information from the outside world? How?

I'm just guessing here though, I'm sorry if I'm off target.