avr-libc-dev

Re: [avr-libc-dev] Linux -> avr-libc - License issue?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Linux -> avr-libc - License issue?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:15:48 +0100

As Stu Bell wrote:

> Would importing the code (in any form) into avr-libc violate GPLv2
> by putting the code (modified though it will be) under the somewhat
> more restrictive LGPL?

avr-libc is covered by the BSD license.  Yes, porting GPLed code to
the BSD license is impossible because the GPL explicitly mandates any
user to make his changes available while the BSD license doesn't --
and we intentionally do not want to require all avr-libc users to
release their source (or object code, for LGPL) to their customers.

If you want to look at porting something, better start with the BSD
systems because their license exactly matches ours.  In fact, we've
already imported some of our library modules from BSDs.