avr-libc-dev

Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: eeprom_read_byte and clr ret_hi

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: eeprom_read_byte and clr ret_hi
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:41:50 +0100

Wouter van Gulik wrote:
David Brown schreef:
Wouter van Gulik wrote:
David Brown schreef:
Weddington, Eric wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden org]
On Behalf Of Dmitry K. Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:21 AM To:
address@hidden Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev]
eeprom_read_byte and clr ret_hi

eeprom_read_byte returns a uint8_t. Why does it clear r25? eerd_byte.S: clr ret_hi

Does the AVR ABI require that r25 be zeroed in a function
returning a
single byte? If not, this instruction could be removed.
This is a misty point. Look an example:

unsigned char foo1 (unsigned char *p) { return *p; }

extern unsigned char ext2 (void); int foo2 (void) { return ext2() +
1; }

Old Avr-gcc (3.3 - 4.2) are clear R25 in both cases: foo1() and
foo2().  The new Avr-gcc (4.3.3 and 4.4.2) are not clear R25 in
foo1().

Note, the function return value is present only in expression. So
it is promoted to integer. So it would be better to clear R25 in
foo1() only (at one place).

I agree that that is the way it should be.

I'm a little confused by this - I hope this is not implying a return to avr-gcc 4.2 R25 clearing? With avr-gcc 4.2, foo1() above would clear R25 even though it is returning an 8-bit value. This has always been a waste of time and space - caller functions make no use of the cleared R25, and thus clear it again themselves (such as in foo2() after calling ext2()). With avr-gcc 4.3, the extra clear R25 instructions are omitted for functions returning 8-bit values. This is the way it should be (unless the C standards disagree...), IMHO. But it looks a little like you want foo1() to clear R25 here?

Incidentally, avr-gcc 4.2.2 actually produces better code for foo2() than avr-gcc 4.3.2.

With 4.2.2, the code is:
foo2:
    call ext2
    ldi R25, lo8(0)
    adiw r24,1
    ret

With 4.3.2 (and 4.3.0), we get:
foo2:
    call ext2
    mov r18, r24
    ldi r19, lo8(0)
    subi r18, lo8(-(1))
    sbci r19, hi8(-(1))
    movw r24, r18
    ret

Is this regression is news to you, I can take it up in the main avr-gcc mailing list and/or a missed optimisation bug report.

This is "normal" GCC behaviour, caused by internal promotion to int types. Having the clr r25 would have saved the ldi r19. Altough these type of missed optimization are known for long, it (apparently) is difficult to fix them. IIRC the main problem is the carry bit propagation. I still don't now why exactly that is such a big problem, but then again I am no gcc expert.

I understand about int promotion, and how it's a PITA to remove all the extra code that the avr backend has to put in because the gcc frontend has promoted the 8-bit data to 16-bit ints. However, avr-gcc 4.2 /does/ do a clr R25 in the function returning an 8-bit result, and then it clears it /again/ after calling it (as in foo2 above). That is definitely a waste, and it has been removed in 4.3+.

The problem I have with the 4.3.2 code above is not the zeroing of the upper byte - that's standard int promotion, and is required for correct code. The problem is that the result of ext2() is first moved into a new register pair and then promoted to an int - an unnecessary move, which forces the subi/sbci pair instead of subw, and requires an additional move before the ret instruction. In more complex code, the wasted register resources may also be relevant.

You're right, I was not grasping the real problem. However using -fno-split-wide-types makes 4.3.2 behave like 4.2.2. Split wide types seems to be the problem here.

You are correct - I hadn't thought of that. However, -fno-split-wide-types is a workaround, rather than a solution. Ideally, the good code should be produced regardless of that flag, since split-wide-types is enabled implicitly by all -Ox flags. The split-wide-types is also useful to improve some code sequences, such as when you have 32-bit data but only want to look at part of it.

mvh.,

David