avr-libc-dev

Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Ethernet & IP networking support?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Ethernet & IP networking support?
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:43:22 +0200

As Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>       So, what's about having, say, htonX () and ntohX () functions
>       in AVR Libc?  These are standard [Posix], ...

Well, avr-libc doesn't aim to be a subset of Posix, but rather wants
to be a C standard library.  Anyway, I wouldn't mind adding those to
the library, albeit creating a subdirectory "arpa" just for the
purpose of keeping these two macros/inline functions in <arpa/inet.h>
looks a little strange.

However, that makes less than one percent of a functional IP stack
;-), and as Eric already explained, the remainder of an IP stack
wouldn't belong into avr-libc.  At best, it could be more on-topic for
the companion project avr-corelib, but I think they are still lacking
much more basic things than an IP stack.

Btw., SLIP is dead.  PPP replaced it very successfully, and nobody
sheds a tear anymore for SLIP.