RE: [avrdude-dev] ATMega8535 on avr910

From: Alex Shepherd
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] ATMega8535 on avr910
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:08:26 +1200

>    I found a version of the avr910 firmware with added mega
> devices here:
>
> [2]http://www.avrfreaks.net/phorum/download.php?f=3&file=AVR910_2313_v
>    3.asm
>    The downside for some is that it requires a 2313 to run.
>    Avrprog still doesn't list the meg8535 when I use it with this
>    firmware, but it does list the mega8515, and the 8535
> seems to program
>    OK on that setting. I'm back in business.

I too have been playing with the same AVR910_2313_v3.asm code to get it
to run on a 8535 that I happen to have on a PCB with RS232and ISP header
etc. I simply added a couple of extra lines that initialise the SPH
Stack pointer high register, as the 8535 has more RAM and tweaked the
UART values to run with the 8MHz xtal it has and it seems to work fine
for the few tests I ran with Atmel's Avrprog.exe ver 1.37. It found my
Mega8 and programmed it and changed the fuse settings etc so it looks
ok.

>    Avrdude doesn't want to work with the updated firmware,
> serial_recv()
>    says the programmer is not responding.  Not sure what's up
> with that.

I then fired up avrdude and it started to complain about not knowing
about the device. Do I need to go through the avrdude.conf file and add
"avr910_devcode" entries for each of the devices that are supported by
the new code before it will work.

Cheers

Alex

PS If I go modify the avrdude.conf file and it works, I'll post the
diffs.