Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude MINGW/Win32 port

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude MINGW/Win32 port
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:40:57 GMT

> Hi list,
>
> I  tried  to  compile  the latest avrdude from CVS
yesterday using the
> MINGW/MSYS  system. After some hassles to get TeX running
(I couldn't)
> I  finally  realized  that  the  windows  version is
no "real" windows
> version  but  uses  Cygwin  and  the GiveIO hack to
access the LPT/COM
> ports.
>
> So...  question:  Is  there an effort to port this to the
native Win32
> API  instead  of  relying on Cygwin? Or is everybody
content with that
> and  Ponyprog2000  -which  now  has  gained  scripting
support- as an
> alternative?

There is somewhat of an effort, however it's been on
a "back burner" due to lack of time. It's also been more
important to get other features in avrdude and other
projects.

As to the "giveio hack", if you know of a better
alternative that's open source, I'd love to hear it.

Are you volunteering to help move it to MinGW?

Eric