Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on MacOS X

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on MacOS X
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:51:47 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Tim Seufert wrote:

> I'm trying to get avrdude working on MacOS X, using the Fink porting
> system (fink.sf.net).  I've run into one compilation problem.  Since
> MacOS X is neither BSD nor Linux, the #ifdef in ppi.c caused no ppi_*
> functions to be compiled.  This of course causes a link error later on.
>   I've gotten avrdude to compile for now by adding a #else clause with
> do-nothing stubs for the ppi_* functions, but I'd guess that is not the
> way to solve it long term.  Seems like there probably should be a way
> to compile avrdude without support for parallel ports at all, on
> platforms where they don't exist.  (You can physically have a parallel
> port on a Mac via a USB->parport dongle but as far as I know the OS
> provides no API to access them.)

I'd leave the empty stubs in place, maybe just print a warning about
them being empty if the user tries to use a parallel port programmer. In
the future, maybe someone can get the USB->parport dongle to work and
fill in the stubs. That may also make the dongle available on non MacOS
X systems too.

It might a bit difficult to disable parport support since avrdude
started there and then added serial support. Not to say it couldn't be
done, but I doubt it would be trivial.

Ted Roth