Re: [avrdude-dev] new USB-based programmer with Igor USB

From: Jeff Epler
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] new USB-based programmer with Igor USB
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:50:51 -0600

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:17:28AM -0600, Jeff Epler wrote:
> Because "it could be done", I tried out the avr-based USB device code
> written by Igor Cesko, and quickly had a very versatile, USB-controlled
> device. (http://www.cesko.host.sk)
[...]

I've improved things further with related changes to the USB firmware
and avrdude.  By cutting as many corners as possible, including using
timings that I only know are safe due to the long packet times of USB
compared to the times in the data sheets (tWD_PROG, etc), I am able to
program at about 100 bytes per second.  The 270-byte program I mentioned
earlier takes 3 seconds to erase + program + verify, and a 2k firmware takes
16 seconds.  Verify accounts for fully half that time, so it takes 7
seconds to erase + program a 2k firmware.

Jeff