Re: [avrdude-dev] Why is eeprom file overwritten?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Why is eeprom file overwritten?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:10:45 +0200

As Bob Paddock wrote:

> My .eep file was one I created externally, not part of the .elf
> dependency, so it is getting over written.

> Looks like I should move my EEPROM data into the .elf file.

That's the common way many people do want: you create __attribute__
((section(".eeprom"))) variables in your C source, and have them
automatically go into the .eep file.

I guess it would be worth the while to not burn the EEPROM file
automatically anymore, but leave this decision to the user (e.g.  as a
selectable option in Mfile).  Given that all the newer ATmegas do have
an EESAVE fuse bit anyway, it's probably no longer useful to have this
written into the device by default.

What do people think?

Wir stellen aus! Auf der SYSTEMS 2004  vom 18.-22. Oktober in München
Halle B 3, Stand 320-206 (Partner-Stand von Sun Microsystems)
Halle B 2, Stand 605 "Die Musterfirma"