Re: [avrdude-dev] Patch for "Safemode" Support

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Patch for "Safemode" Support
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:29:51 -0700

Colin O'Flynn wrote:

Hello,

I have created a patch against CVS that implements  "safemode".

It stemmed from a dead AVR I had happen to me, and figuring out that probably a databyte got corrupted which resulted in the lock-bits changing to disable the external RESET pin on my AtMega. Since there are no error detection bits on the AVR's programming protocol, it is possible to have changed the fuse bits and not know it. However - as long as you don't exit programming mode the fuse bits don't become active.

Great! Thanks for doing this!

You can see the thread at http://www.avrfreaks.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25596 - which includes Erik's comments which are pretty much the reason I actually made the patch ;-)

Erik summed up the idea as this:

*cough*
s/Erik/Eric/g
:-)

"- Before the start of every program, read the fuse settings and store.
- Program flash / eeprom
- Read the fuse settings again and compare to previously stored settings.
- If different, reprogram fuse settings with previously stored settings.
- Exit programming mode. "

Which is what this patch does. The -s option enables safemode, which right now prevents you from changing the fuse bits *at all*.

Did this actually fix your problem?

Eric