Re: [avrdude-dev] Serial programming AVR with FTDI FT232BM Bit Bang Mode

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Serial programming AVR with FTDI FT232BM Bit Bang Mode
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:09:14 +0200

As Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> For normal operation, the FT232BM serial TXD and RXD are routed to
> the appropriate serial port pins on the ATMega8.

> For programming, I have routed four pins from the FT232BM to RESET,
> MISO, MOSI, and SCLK, so I can use the bit bang mode of the part for
> programming operations.

Curious, I'd assume bit-banging across USB to be really slow.  It's
already really slow on a standard serial port, but for USB, each bit
change will require a USB packet of its own.  Why not simply use a
bootloader?

> Suggestions?

My only concern for AVRDUDE would be that there's currently no
infrastructure to maintain separate device drivers as part of the
project.  (There's giveio.sys for the Win32 parallel-port bit-banging,
but that's quite different.)